EASY PLANT BASED MEAL PREP BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER
The following is an excerpt from Beyond Cancer: The Powerful Effect of Plant-Based Eating
(September 2017, Wellness Ink Publishing) by Sally Lipsky, PhD.
I judge a recipe by its length; if it’s long, I’m not using it. In other words, I place a high value on ease and convenience. So, I was grateful to learn plant-centered meals can be prepared easily.
This QUICK taster of idea’s provides guidance on how to make simple yet tasty plant-based meals.
As you learn more you will become more confident MOST PEOPLE ONLY NEED 4 TO 8 DIFFERENT MEALS AT ANY ONE TIME!
Steps for Plant-Based Dishes
Creating a plant-based dish is like constructing a building—start with a solid foundation.
The foundation consists of :
1 – vegetables and fruits;
2 – complex carbohydrates;
3 – healthy plant fats.
Healthy fats and complex carbohydrates provide much-needed fuel, energy, and fibre
(choose mostly non-starchy vegetables as your carbohydrates).
Next you can add to your foundation.
Choose spices, sauces, and condiments to give your dish the desired flavour.
Remember always select a wide variety of food especially:
non-starchy vegetables and/or fruits.
- starchy vegetables (e.g. potatoes, corn, squash);
- legumes (e.g. chickpeas, beans, lentils);
- whole grains (e.g. rice, quinoa, couscous).
- Oatmeal + berries + cinnamon.
- Sautéed hash brown potatoes with garlic, onions, peppers + fresh fruit (fry in water or healthy fats).
- Whole grain bread + hummus + sliced tomatoes.
- Toasted whole-grain bread + peanut butter + sliced apples.
- Shredded wheat or weetbix cereal + nondairy milk + fresh fruit.
- Oatmeal + banana + spinach + frozen berries + flax seeds blended into a smoothie.
Lunch and Dinner Examples:
- Corn tortilla + smashed pinto beans + guacamole + shredded greens.
- Whole Grain bread or toast + Portobello mushroom burger + mustard + pickles.
- Butternut squash bisque + peas + curry powder.
- Baked potato topped with beans + corn + salsa.
- Whole-grain pasta or zucchini noodles + marinara sauce + cannellini beans + fresh herbs + olives.
- Rice noodles + peas + cherry tomatoes + Thai seasoning.
- Brown rice topped with bean chilli + tomatoes + chopped lettuce.
- Pizza shell + tomato sauce + sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms, avocado + sprinkled nutritional yeast.
Each of these dishes can be a stand-alone meal or eat it with soup, salad or fruit.
Check out our recipe page for some of your favourite meals PTHQ.